sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Jeep wrangler: 95 jeep wrangler 2.5, was sitting in the desert

Customer Question

95 jeep wrangler 2.5, was sitting in the desert for a few ears and now the key wont turn far enough to start the engine
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
It wasn't uncommon for the end of the lock cylinder to break on these. The end of the lock cylinder engages the ignitions switch to turn it when the key is turned. What would happen is the end of the cylinder would break and would usually allow the ignition switch to turn to the run position but not fully to the crank position and the starter won't engage. If you don't feel the switch is turning to the crank position then I would recommend pulling the lock cylinder back out and make sure there isn't a piece missing from the end that engages the switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the tab that goes into the bottom of the ignition is still there, I tried to put a pair of needle nose pliers on it to try and rotate it but it will only turn a little and feels bound up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the tab is on the ignition side not the lock cylinder
Are you trying to turn it with the switch removed from the steering column?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did try that and it rotates without an issue, but to turn it while its in or to try and rotate the tab that goes into the bottom of it and it binds up
Do you have the Chrysler steering column or Saginaw?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm assuming Chrysler, everything is stock and has the original cylinder lock or at least one that matches the door locks
You have a triangular headed key then, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes it does, the replacement one I have now is round but it says Chrysler on it
Great.In the column there is a metal piece that engages the metal piece protruding the back side of the ignition switch. The piece on the switch has to engage in this slide piece, the slide has to be held up in roughly the center of the opening when installing the ignition switch. If it rotates fine when not installed in the column but then won't rotate when the switch is on the column I believe the switch isn't engaging this piece correctly.