Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

Sahara 4.0: , I have a 4.0 wrangler from 2000 and using it

Customer Question

hi, I have a 4.0 wrangler from 2000 and using it only for offroad racing. With the stock engine on it, how do I obtain the best engine performance, in what exhaust and cat concerns? thanks
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello providing you stick to a 'catback' exhaust system then you won't have any issues about passing emissions checks ( if you're concerned about that ) and I'd go for at least a 2.75" to 3" system to minimize back pressureI'd also fit a free flow drop in panel filter such as K & N to increase air flow and then look into a ECU re-map to allow some extra fuel and increase spark timing you can also go for a 'header' manifold to increase flow and fit a high flow cat to further reduce back pressure as with all these things going much further is diminishing returns and if you want a big hike in power then its time to consider forced induction
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hi
do you still need help?