Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

2006 Jeep liberty wont turn over on hot days. All electrical

Customer Question

2006 Jeep liberty wont turn over on hot days. All electrical components work fine but the engine wont turn over. It works fine in the fall, winter and spring, but once we get to summer time it wont turn over on hot days. Once it cools off in the evening it will turn over and start right up.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you! So when this happens, the engine won't even crank when you turn the key to the start position? Or does it just crank crank crank crank crank crank crank crank and not fire?
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it wont crank at all and nothing clicks when turned to the start position. All the dash lights come on the radio works everything works other than the jeep wanting to crank. Its like 90 degrees today and it hasn't been run at all today. If I go out tonight or tomorrow morning when it is cooler than it works fine.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Gotcha. Well some of the things that may cause this are something as simple as a loose/poor battery connection, or something more complex like a solder joint inside of the PCM (engine computer) that expands when warm. Other things to consider would be the range sensor (neutral safety switch) inside of the transmission, ignition switch, starter relay, or even the starter. Let's start with the battery cable connections. Check and clean/tighten the positive and negative battery cables. If this does not help, try moving the shift lever from PARK to NEUTRAL while holding the ignition switch in the start position. Still no go? try swapping the starter relay with another similar relay in the under hood fuse box. Try these suggestions and then get back to me with the results.
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried the things you suggested and it still does nothing. My daughter tried this morning and it started right up. I do get a clicking from the blower motor relay when the key is turned to start. I hooked up my scan tool and I don't get any codes at all.Is there any way to test the PCM?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Will your scan tool read I/M OBD readiness monitors status?
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it doesn't.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Darn. That would have been a good way to test the PCM. If the PCM fails internally the monitors all reset to a "not ready" or "incomplete" status. Maybe you can rent a scan tool that will read the monitors. Just a thought. Chris