sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

CJ7: My 85' CJ7 died randomly while driving the other day.

Customer Question

My 85' CJ7 died randomly while driving the other day. It wasn't gas and ended up cranking back up, but when I got home it hasn't been able to crank. It just turns over and then when I left off the ignition fires for just a second then dies. Any ideas?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
It sounds like you have a failed ballast resistor but it could be a wiring issue on that circuit. With the key in the crank position the coil gets direct battery voltage through the start circuit. When you let off the key then it receives power through a ballast resistor which drops voltage to the coil so it doesn't overheat. If you have spark when you let off the key from the crank position then you almost surely have a failed resistor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There isn't a ballast resistor...or i can't find it. I traced the lines from the coil to the ignition module. Nothing was there. From what I read, it sounds like it could be a bad connection somewhere between the ignition and the coil??? I'm going to do some troubleshooting today, but I'm not very good with the meter and I don't have another person to help me turn the ignition to the different stages to check things.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This guy went through this exact scenario with the same year and engine. I already replaced the starter, solenoid, ignition module, and the power cable to the starter. It does sound a lot better turning over, but the same problem exists. http://www.jeepz.com/forum/cj-yj-tj-jk/6692-85-cj7-wont-start.html
Has the ignition system been modified then?