sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Grand Cherokee Limited: Having an issue with my 2001 Jeep Grand

Customer Question

Having an issue with my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 liter. My cooling system failed. The vehicle overheated to the extent the vehicle shut off. Replaced the radiator and thermostat. The vehicle is now running rough. The engine hesitates while driving. Pulled p0300, p0301 and p0302 codes. Pulled plug #1 and plug was covered with wet clear oil. Switched #1 plug and coil with same from cylinder #5. Plug #5 was not covered in oil but had slight white coating. Started and let idle. Did not drive but periodically reved engine. Idle still rough. Pulled p0353, p0141, p0155, p0161. Thoughts?
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vehicle has 220,000 miles. Rebuilt engine installed 90,000 miles ago. Engine has been dutifully maintained.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If the engine was overheated and continue to run until it died and is now running rough with oil on a spark plug then there is almost certainly engine damage. It's possible that there is a valve guide or seal issue but damage to the piston, rings or cylinder walls on the cylinder with oil is more likely. When overheating cylinder temperatures will become high enough to melt the pistons.
You do have a code for the number 3 coil circuit also, you may not have spark on number 3.
Do you have a compression gauge?
Is it smoking from the tailpipe?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only plug that had oil on it was #1. There is no smoke at the tailpipe.
Are you recommending a compression test at all cylinders?
Yes, the first thing I would recommend at this point is a compression test on all cylinders.