sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Grand Cherokee: my 1997 jeep grand cherokee is arming it self

Customer Question

my 1997 jeep grand cherokee is arming it self after about a minute even when car is unlocked it just started it a few weeks ago we have had the car for 5 years.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
I'm assuming you have an aftermarket alarm. If you have only factory security that wasn't an intended feature like with aftermarket. If factory security is arming itself without pressing the lock button, locking a door with the key or pressing the lock button on the key fob then it would have to be an internal body controller issue.
if it's an aftermarket system then it is most likely an optional feature that was either accidentally turned on or has unintendedly started to work because of an issue in the module. If I had the brand and model of the alarm I can attempt to locate information on that particular system and see if it is an option that can be turned off.