sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My 2008 Jeep wrangler unlimited X will not go into gear

Customer Question

my 2008 Jeep wrangler unlimited X will not go into gear
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My son was driving it and when he pushed in the clutch and took it out of gear at the light he heard a snapping noise the he could not put it back in gear. Now the clutch goes down real easy and i can't get it into gear.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I get someone out there?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Justanswer!
If the clutch pedal moves with little or no resistance then you have a hydraulic issue. The throwout bearing, the clutch or it's release fork could potentially cause this but it's not likely if there is no resistance at the pedal.
Assuming there isn't a hydraulic leak, the most likely cause would be the slave cylinder but it could also be the master cylinder.
The first thing I would recommend is checking the fluid level. If the level is full then you can have a helper pump and hold the pedal and then open the bleeder on the slave cylinder. If there is little or no pressure then the master cylinder has failed.
If there is pressure then you can remove the slave cylinder and inspect it and the release fork as well as you can. If there are no visible issues and the fork seems to move a normal amount then replace the slave cylinder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a diagram of the areas I need to check
I'm unable to post directly from the service information due to copyright.
The slave cylinder is on the left side of the transmission. Slide underneath and look at the left side of the trans. You'll find the black hydraulic line coming dowm from the firewall and going into the slave cylinder. The slave cylinder is ounted to the side of the trans with two studs and 13mm nuts.
Here is what the slave cylinder looks like:
http://www.carparts.com/details/Jeep/Wrangler_-openp-JK-closep-/Crown/Clutch_Slave_Cylinder/2008/52060133AD.html?TID=80000000CP&origin=pla&CP=1&CP_SRC=PPC&003=27372932&010=cp4267675098cebb784efeb6dbf225ff75&gclid=Cj0KEQjw_YKtBRC7zZjFp8bF_foBEiQAfyigc2yxqyTGzbdy6GNuM35qC9HCL28-LnOqD3iqoc5VEv8aAjZm8P8HAQ&c_dev=c&c_aid=45534009453&c_net=g&c2cid=ca63e1fd-943d-494e-80e3-211b961e4826
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hey I replaced the slave cylinder and bled the system but I still don't have any clutch?
Do you have normal hydraulic pressure at the slave cylinder?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do you mean by that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Air keep coming out of the release valve when I pump clutch.
Was there air in the system before the slave cylinder was replaced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not that I could tell
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I first bled it I got fluid to come out of bleeder valve now I only get air
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think it might be master cylinder?
If there is still air when the bleeder is opened then the system isn't fully bled or the master cylinder is drawing in air.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Picking up new master cylinder any suggestions on how to remove and install?
There isn't much to it and it only calls for one hour of labor. You'll remove the pushrod at the clutch pedal, remove the fluid supply hose at the master cylinder. Remove the clip that holds the hydraulic line and remove the line, unplug the clutch position switch connector. Once everything is disconnected then turn the master cylinder a quarter turn clockwise to release it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I installed the new master cylinder but now it is leaking at the connection that goes down to the slave cylinder, is there any tricks to making that seal better?
If it's leaking then either the O ring in the fitting was damaged or the line isn't completely in. If you think the line is in all the way then take it back apart and see if the O ring was damaged, if it looks ok then lubricate everything with clean brake fluid and try it put it together again and see if it holds fluid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What's the best way to get the air out of the system?
It should bleed just as you would brakes. Have a helper press the pedal down 2-3 times and hold it, open the bleeder, close it and then the pedal can be released and the process started over. It would be best to have a hose from the bleeder to a container of clean fluid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I got it and no air in the system, I can hear it move when the clutch petal is pressed but it is still loose and not going into gear. No leaks and no air. What do you think?
If you're positive that there is no air in the system, the master and slave cylinders have been replaced, then there has to be a mechanical issue with the clutch pressure plate, throwout bearing or possibly the release fork.