Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

Jeff, I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee laredo with 4L six engine.

Customer Question

Hi Jeff,
I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee laredo with 4L six engine. It has 300K km on the clock. (I am in Australia). Was running fine till it suddenly failed a big end bearing. I rebuilt the motor with rebore, new cam and lifters, replaced the crank, and all the usual rebuild stuff. Started the new motor in the car and it ran beautifully.
Took it out on the road and within ten km it stalled. Immediately started it up again and it went for a short while and stopped again. This has been the state of play for a few weeks now. Check light came on and I had the fault code diagnosed as Crank position sensor. I have replaced the CPS with a new item, and have installed a new fuel pump and filter. Have triple checked all electrical connecters, sprayed with contact cleaner. Removed the three plugs from the PCM, checked for corrosion and sprayed with contact cleaner. Checked internet forums for hours on end and it seems this is a very common thing. But the solutions are many an
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,
After replacing the crank sensor ,did you clear codes ,and recheck .what codes came back .was there just the one code ??
Give me the codes PXXXX numbers .
Rgds Greg