Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Certified
49095596

Electric Cooling Fan on 1999 Jeep Cherokee does not work.

Customer Question

Electric Cooling Fan on 1999 Jeep Cherokee does not work. When manually control relay the fan comes on. I believe I need schematic to test further.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 27+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
What are the symptoms? Is the vehicle overheating? Is the check engine light on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No check engine light or codes. If vehicle sits and idles for too long it will overheat. Electric Cooling Fan does not work even with A/C on.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Let me see what I can round up for you. I need some time to gather the diagram for you... Thanks for your patience and understanding while I research this for you....
Thank you,
Robert
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
At this time, it is possible that the Coolant Temperature Sensor has failed "in range" and has not set a fault code. You would need a scanner to compare the Coolant Temperature Sensor reading with actual coolant temperature to verify this..
Other than that, here is the wiring diagrams for the Radiator Fan Relay and Fan Motor..

Here is a diagnostic flow chart for the radiator fan...
Attachment: --Click here-- to view.
Keep me posted and let me know if you have additional questions...
Thank you,
Robert
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
This is an automated response that was scheduled when I posted my answer. I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.
If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks!", and let you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark My Profile Page (Bookmark this link) in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it.
If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.
If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...
If your not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.
My goal is to answer your question to your complete satisfaction, and would like to earn your business now and in the future.
Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not made all the checks from diagnostic tree. I will today. That said, I think I need to trace signal wire to relay, which means I need schematic. When I take cover off relay and manually operate relay, fan comes on. So where does signal come from on this vehicle.
I will be working on around noon today.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Can you post the last 9 digits of the VIN so I can gather correct service info for you??
Thank you,
Robert