Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

Cherokee Laredo: My 98 Laredo just died on me the other night

Customer Question

My 98 Laredo just died on me the other night with no warning. There was no stuttering, clunking, rattle or anything. Just died & would not start back. It will turn over but not fire. My brother in law & the tow guy both said they thought it was my timing chain. A friend of my dad's who owns and works on Jeeps doesn't think it's the timing chain. He suggested (and changed out something electronic that sits on top to make the timing chain fire. My car still will not start. He's baffled but determined to figure it out. He's also wondering about a fuse... not the smaller ones but a larger one? Any help you can offer?
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just spoke with my Mom & the guy who is working on it, said that the pistons move which means it's not the timing chain too... Figured that might help... I saw that you were suggesting a code reader on another question and I do not have access to one...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After reading through some of the other questions and answers, I realize that I will be unable to provide you with as much info and the details needed. I also don't think I'll understand the responses anyway. Thanks for your time but I'll withdraw the question... blessings!
Please disregard this question...
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved. I'm willing to go over a few options if you want. Start by turning key on-off-on-off-on within 5 seconds and any diagnostic codes that are stored should be displayed on odometer. Let me know, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car is not here at my home, it's at my Mom's. Sorry to waste your time... I just realized too late that this site is a bit over my head but I will definitely use it for trouble shooting in the future, thank you!
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
No problem. Another thing I'd recommend doing is seeing if it starts with starting fluid. If it doesn't start with starting fluid you probably have a bad crankshaft position sensor. If it does run on starting fluid then you probably have a fuel related issue. You can keep this question open until you get a chance to check out vehicle and we can go back/fourth some more. Let me know, thanks!