Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

Jeep possibly in limp mode, won't shift out of park

Customer Question

Hello everyone, I'm the owner of a 2008 heep patriot 4x4 and have recently been experiencing some serious issues with my jeep and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.
I searched the forums for what I'm issuing and have found a few people not being able to shift out of park, but not with the other issues I am experiencing.
So, one morning I was unable to shift out of park and my remote start wouldn't shut off when I depressed the brake pedal. I immediately thought my brake switch was malfunctioning so I replaced that with no improvements.
I had to get to work so I used the override lever on the right side of the shift box and got to work with what seemed like no issues. After driving that way for a little more I noticed that my acceleration was significantly lower than it was before.
Occasionally I can depress my gas pedal to the floor and my rpms would very slowly rise until a second or two and it would act normally and begin to shake from the heavy load.
When I'm stopped I can lightly depress the brake and put the gas pedal down to the floor and I can't go over 2500 rpms. This also happens on slight inclines. I believe I am in some sort of limp mode.
I cant Tell when exactly the acceleration issue is happening, but it is almost every time I drive, sometimes multiple times during a trip.
I checked all my fuses and they were all good and I pulled my codes and I'm getting cruise control/break switch and transmission indicator light codes.
I'm assuming this is an electrical issue but I am not very familiar with the electrical system on vehicles. Could my wiring harness have a short or my computer be bad? I had a remote start out in a few years ago as well, not sure if that could be causing issues.
Update: I took the jeep to a dealer and they couldn't figure it out and have a call into star but I've been waiting a long time for them to get back to me. I also went to a remote start company and they checked out the remote start and said it was fine.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Category: Jeep