Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Jeep Grand Cherokee Lim.: My 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Customer Question

My 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited is showing a msg on the center screen that my coolant temp sensor is bad. I have replaced the sensor and continue to get the same msg. I have 5 volts at the sensor connector. Not sure of the resistance of the sensor. My fuel mileage seems to have dropped from 12 plus to 10 .4. Could this be a ECM problem?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved. What size engine do you have? Is your check engine light on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5.2lt, No
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
This warning your getting is for the coolant level sensor, not the coolant temperature sensor. If the coolant is at the proper level, test the resistance of the sensor. The normal resistance is 3000-3500 ohms when the level is at the proper level. The Pink/Black wire should have approximately 5 volts to 12 volts with the sensor unplugged. The Black wire should be chassis ground. Let me now how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think my coolant reservoir is low. Will top off and let you know.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, keep me updated. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Over flow res was quite low. Refilled. Will drive a few miles and advise if msg stays off. Willadvise.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Good to hear. Let me know if you run into more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Console still showing bad sensor. Will it cancel itself after awhile?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this sensor a dealer only item?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
If it still shows bad sensor then you will want to replace the sensor. You should be able to get this from any of your local parts stores. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
No problem, keep me updated. Thanks again and have a great day!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the level sensor. Still getting the same msg. Voltage at 5 going to the sensor. ????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Check engine came on and then went out and has not reappeared.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if it comes back on, thanks!