sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Grand Cherokee: Josh, Tried to start my 2006 Jeep Grand

Customer Question

Hi Josh, Tried to start my 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee this AM and thought it was the battery. Lights, music came on, and only clicked once when I turned the key. The AAA tech checked it out and stated it was the starter. B4 I spend money towing it to a shop and paying for a new starter,could it be the starter relay instead?
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, what is the part number/name that I need, and where could I order/purchase it from.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If you heard single click from the engine compartment when trying to start the engine it's unlikely to be the starter relay. A single solid click was most likely heard from the starter, and if that's the case then the relay was working.
If the starter clicked once then the problem is the starter itself, a poor connection at the battery, starter or engine ground. Usually a single click from the starter is a sign of failed contacts in the solenoid and the starter would need to be replaced, but one thing I've seen quite a bit of on these is corrosion between the starter solenoid wire and terminal. This will cause enough voltage drop to cause a single click or no engagement at all.