Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

Grand Cherokee Laredo: , I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.7L. About a week ago I was running errands. When making my last stop, I parked & shut her off. When I went to leave, I got just a click noise & nothing. I've had no issues with her as long as I've owned it. With the weather, and lack of people to get a jump, I had it towed home. After letting it sit for 24 hours, I attempted to start it. Reluctantly, it started then instantly died, twice. After that, nothing. So I assumed it was battery related. Two days went by, I attempted to start it, and it started & ran. Before I left, I figured I would shut it off & see if it would start again. Nothing. So today, I bought a new battery & replaced the negative terminal as well. Boom, she fired up. I left it running for about 20 minutes & even drive down the road & back. Parked, shut it off & it fired back up. Same day, I walked to work, came back home (11 hours later) and it fired right up. So this time I sat in it & re set my aftermarket radio to my settings. After about 15 mins, I shut it off & attempted to start it again...nothing.
I'm getting very frustrated & would like some advice if possible. Could it be the alternator not charging my battery? Starter? PCM? Please help!!
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Kevin when car doesn't start do you hear a click from engine bay every time car key turned to start position I suspect you have a failing starter motor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not a continuous click the entire time the key is turned. Just one 'click' for every time I turn the key.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
That sounds like the starter motor is failing I would replace before going any further
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Does the randomness of the starts 'say' starter? And once I volt test my brand new battery & if its low...what would that signify?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Randomness deffinatly fits with starter failure the battery may be slightly lower but this will just be the ignition being on and the pull from starter causing clicking