Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

Cherokee: Check fuel pressure with tester and no pressure replace

Customer Question

Check fuel pressure with tester and no pressure replace relay, pump, and filter still reading no pressure at fuel rail what else do I need to do?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.
Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.
Do you hear any relays under the hood click and do you hear the fuel pump turn on with the key in the on position?
Do you have a test light?
Let me know
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes to all
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any fuel pressure on either side of the filter with the key on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes fuel is in the rail just reading no pressure
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.
If the fuel hoses at the rail are rubber pinch off the return and see if you now have pressure above 40 psi. If the fuel lines are plastic pinch off the return line at the pump. With the fuel return line pinched you should have pressure.
Let me know how this works out.
Thanks.
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.
If pinching off the return fuel line does not increase the pressure to over 40 psi. The pump is defective or the filter is on backwards or there is a severe block in the fuel pressure line. If pinching off the return fuel line does increase the pressure the fuel pressure regulator is stuck open and allowing pressure to return to the tank. Replace the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail. I hope this information is helpful to you.Should you have any questions please let me know.Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you. Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.Thanks so much.