Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

Cherokee: I have a 2004 jeep grand Cherokee 4x4 compressor

Customer Question

I have a 2004 jeep grand Cherokee 4x4 compressor clutch is not engaging. Light on dash lights up when I push a/c button. Checked power to the pressure switch by the battery and at clutch plug in top of compressor. What would I do to check next?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I take it there was voltage at the compressor clutch? Is this a manual or auto A/C system?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No power at pressure switch or clutch. Auto I would guess sense its electrical
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you! Try this test: Remove the ac relay and locate the #30 and #87 terminals on the relay. Now look where those terminals plug into the fuse/relay box and get a jumper wire. Jump #30 to #87. See if the compressor comes on and if it blows cold.
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes Chris the clutch came in that time. Would that be a bad relay? Thanks very much
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Maybe. Did it blow cold?
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes after I had charge it a little bit
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok plug the relay back in and see if it will come on.
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Plugged back in nothing happened.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok, when I get home tonight I will look over my wiring diagrams and see what the next step is as far as testing.
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Find anything out Chris? Guessing maybe the actual control not sending power to relay. But let me know I will try anything. Thanks for your help
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
With the key on, is there voltage at the relay's # ***** cavity?
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jeep cranked up. A.c. button light is yellow no voltage on 86 cavity
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok that is a problem. Check fuse # ***** in the inside fuse box. It may be blown. Let me know.
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not blown. 21 inside is 10amp fuse and distribution box is 15amp fuse neither is blown
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok, then you have a broken wire/connection between the # ***** fuse and the relay's # ***** cavity. The wiring harness will need to be checked and that wire repaired. The problem may be inside of the relay box. This is something that you may want to have an auto electric shop take care of if you are not comfortable doing this.
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What wires would I check for voltage out of the back of the a.c. control on the dash?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the electric fan suppose to come on with a.c. because that's not coming on either when I have it in a.c. mode
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
The fan will come on once the compressor kicks on and the pressures get high on the high side of the system. We need to get voltage to cavity # ***** Try running a test wire from the battery positive terminal to cavity 86 then shove the relay back in. See if the ac will now work.
Chris