Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

Jeep Compass: , today me 2010,***** Jeep Compass

Customer Question

Hello, today me 2010,***** Jeep Compass stopped working. While in reverse the gear box locked up and I was unable to move it into drive. A valet tried to help me by popping the side hole on the gear box open and moving the inner lever to allow manual movement of the shifter which worked to get the car into neutral so we could push it out of the way however when we would manually move it into drive or reverse and engage the gas pedal, the engine would just rev but not move. Any idea on what exactly is broken so I don't get taken for a ride at the shop?
Thank you!
Category: Jeep
Expert:  vipertech replied 1 year ago.
evening.......when you say you manually moved the shifter into drive and reverse, are you speaking at the shifter or under the hood at the transmission? Thanks...will wait for your reply
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's a small round piece that pops off of the side panel of the gear box, inside is a small lever that you can move which then allows the shifter free movement however the minute the shifter is returned to the park position it locks again unless the lever is continually engaged. regardless this only allowed movement of the shifter but did not fix the car engaging when the gas was pressed.
Expert:  vipertech replied 1 year ago.
I know exactly the access cover that your speaking of. Okay....here is a video that I made that will most likely be related to your problem. It has to do with the shifter cable at the shifter inside. This will explain the problems your having. Check out the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tMzEJYqu4I
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I watched the video and although that could very well be what's wrong, I'm still skeptical, you said that one of the symptoms of that broken part is excessive play on the shifter but on mine there is zero play, it's locked up and wont move at all unless I engage that side lever...
Expert:  vipertech replied 1 year ago.
The shifter override is what your moving with the access hole to allow you to get the shifter out of park. If you get it out of park then if eveything was working fine....you would be able to move to each gear and the vehicle move. You have to get it out of park first and then check to see if any play on the shifter. Hopefully Im explaining it correctly to so that there is no confusion. Check the movement once you get it out of Park to see if you fill more than normal movement. In some cases the cable eventually comes off and then there is lots of movement and no gear engagement in any position
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Additionally mine wont work in drive or reverse, it just revs when the gas is pressed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see, yes once we used the override to unlock it there was a little more play than normal but I just thought that was because of the override being used. So because there is no gear engagement in any position, do you think that means the cable did pop off as well?
Expert:  vipertech replied 1 year ago.
will need to see.....only way to be 100% certain is to remove the center console like in the video to see if the bushing is still in one piece or in multiple pieces on the floor below the shifter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, but based on what I'm describing you don't think there is any transmission issues do you?
Expert:  vipertech replied 1 year ago.
A trans issue wouldnt stop you from getting the shifter out of park. This should be able to be done no matter what.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gotcha, glad to hear, I was worried this would be a major repair. Thank you!
Expert:  vipertech replied 1 year ago.
At this point I dont believe so....not from experience. The transmission in the Compass holds up well except for a few with bearing growl noises.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't heard any noises at all, the only other thing it has been doing is whenever it rains or the air is very humid, it stalls while idling at stop lights and it's literally only when the air is humid.
Expert:  vipertech replied 1 year ago.
Having the throttle body cleaned would be the first thing I recommend for the stalling issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I believe you've answered my questions, thank you very much!
Expert:  vipertech replied 1 year ago.
your very much welcome. Glad I could help