Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I am working on a 2004 jeep grand cherokee. The vehicle will

Customer Question

I am working on a 2004 jeep grand cherokee. The vehicle will cut off after running for about 2-30 minutes or warming up. What it will do is the rpms will drop as if it is loosing idle then it shuts off. I checked the IAC and it is new and clean. However
I read that when this happens you should go ahead and replace your Crank position sensor and Cam position sensor. I replaced both and the problem is still there. I did notice it has an oil leak and the exhaust has a cloudiness to it. Any idea which direction
i should go in?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** the check engine light on? Does it restart right away every time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Check engine light does not come on and there are no stored codes. And the vehicle starts right back up after it dies.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Does it stall while accelerating or only while letting off the gas such as stops, lowing down, ect?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't tried driving it. I dont believe it does. i just know its doing it when sitting still parked and idling. i can go drive it though and see.,
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Take it for a drive and let me know. If it only stalls at low speeds then that would point toward dirty throttle body or weak battery. You can get some throttle body cleaner from your local parts store and use that with a rag to wipe it out good. You can also have battery load tested while at parts store. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery tests at 300 CCA so it tests bad. The guys who owns it doesnt want to replace the battery. Would that be a cause of it?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
The battery is very common to cause this, I'd try to push him to replace. You could try to clean throttle body first but if that doesn't help your still stuck replacing battery. Let me know how it goes, thanks.