Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified
10114124

Grand Cherokee limited: I have an 05 grand Cherokee 5.7, I

Customer Question

I have an 05 grand Cherokee 5.7, I overcharged the a/c with a store bought home kit!!! Now it starts a little cold and warms up. Could you tell me how to release some of the pressure and exactly where from? I followed the directions perfectly, kept checking gauge, shook can, engine running with a/c turned on high, next thing I knew I over did it some how. Brian
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
It's required by the EPA you remove the freon with a recovery machine and (not by sticking a screwdriver in the schrader valve) to release the freon. If you still have issues after releasing some freon then I would highly advise to have some recover it and charge it with the correct amount to ensure a proper charge. Also if you are having to add freon I would add some UV dye to find the leak so you can repair it... I hope this helps and if you need anymore assistance free free to reply.Brad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know there is no leaks, it was working very good, just a little low according to the gauge, we are planning a trip to AZ and I wanted it to be fully charged, if I were to do this my self I can still use the gauge, it has a pressure release also, would I release from the same valve I used? Does engine need to be on or off, a/c on or off?
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
The a/c system is constantly under pressure so you can release some pressure with the engine on or off. I would try and get it as close as possible with the kit you purchased and if you run into any issues I would suggest having it recovered and charged with the proper amount with an a/c machine... I hope this helps,Brad