jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ase certified--32 yrs experience
8668911

Y-j: I HAVE A 1988 JEEP Y-J 6 CYLINDER 5 SPEED MY PROBLEM STARTED

Customer Question

I HAVE A 1988 JEEP Y-J 6 CYLINDER 5 SPEED MY PROBLEM STARTED WHEN THE MASTER CYL. STARTED TO LEAK VISIBLE FROM INSIDE FIREWALL THROUGH PEDAL ROD. REPLACED MASTER CYL. TWICE. PUMP PEDAL BLEED, GRAVITY, AND POWER BLEED. HAVE GOOD PEDAL FOR ABOUT 20 PUMPS, THEN ONLY ABOUT 2" OF PEDAL FROM FLOOR, OR NO CLUTCH. WE HAVE REPLACED THE LINE FROM MASTER TO SLAVE CYL. NEW THROW -OUT -BEARING SLAVE CYL. -NEW CLUTCH NEW PRESSURE PLATE AND NEW FLYWHEEL.NEW PILOT BEARING. STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM 20 PUMPS WORKS GREAT THEN 2" FROM FLOOR.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the pedal is poor then the problem has to be the master cylinder, slave cylinder, or there is still air in the system. I would first suspect the master cylinder if you're positive that it's bled correctly, especially since the problem started when it was replaced.

The master cylinder has only been replaced once, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

PLEASE READ THE ASK A QUESTION AGAIN IT STATES THE MASTER WAS REPLACED TWICE THOUGHT I HAD A DEFECT ON THE FIRST ONE SO YES TWICE ALSO ON THE SECOND MASTER CYLINDER IT WAS BLOCKED OFF FROM THE LINE AND HELD PRESSURE OVER NIGHT HARD AS A BRAKE PEDAL.IT ALSO STATES HOW IT WAS BLED.ALL COMPONENTS ARE NEW!

Where are the parts coming from?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

THIS IS NO HELP! IS THERE ANOTHER TEC. THAT CAN HELP THIS IS RATER POOR TO ME AND WILL NOT PAY $26.00 FOR THIS INFO.

Your question was up for an extended time without a response and I wouldn't expect another to respond at this point but I will open your question for others if you wish. The problem is either low quality parts or an installation error and I was attempting to determine which.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

PLEASE OPEN AGIAN, THE PARTS USED WERE FROM, MASTER CYL. FROM AUTO ZONE CLUTCH KIT FROM NAPA , LINE FROM ON LINE SITE OF WITH OVER 9500 POSITIVE FEEDBACK I AM RETIRED AUTO MECHANIC OF 35 YEARS,MY BROTHER IS HELPING ME WITH PROBLEM HE HAS HAD MY FATHERS BUSINESS OVER 40 YEARS SO WE KNOW HOW TO REPLACE & INSTALL A CLUTCH WITH HYDRO. COMPONENTS

Good luck with your Jeep.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
ALL INFO. SUBMITTED TO ME I ALL READY KNOW.I WAS IN HOPE THE EXPERT HAD SEEN OR HEARD OF THIS PROBLEM.
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
hello, let me see if I can help you .do you have a hand held vacuum pump ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HI JAZZMASTER

WE HAVE TRIED PEDAL PUMP BLEEDING,GRAVITY BLEEDING,HAND VACUUM PUMP BLEEDING & A AIR VACUUM BLEEDER. IT WILL HAVE A PERFECT PEDAL WITH A INCH OF FREE PLAY.AFTER YOU MAKE ABOUT 20 PEDAL PUMPS THE PEDAL HAS NO PRESSURE ABOUT 2" FROM THE FLOOR.YOU CAN BLEED IT AGAIN AND THE SAME THING HAPPENS GOOD PEDAL FOR 20 SHIFTS THEN LOOSES PEDAL AGAIN.EVERYTHING IS NEW FROM MASTER CYLINDER TO FLYWHEEL.REPLACED THE MASTER CYLINDER TWICE THOUGH THE FIRST ONE WAS DEFECTED ON THE SECOND MASTER CYLINDER WE TOOK THE LINE OFF AND BLOCKED IT OFF,LET IT SET OVER NIGHT THE PEDAL WAS TO THE TOP AND HARD AS A BRAKE PEDAL SO I FEEL THE CYLINDER IS GOOD.

Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
ok, what I was going to say is ' I have had pedals that do this and that definitely shows that there is air still trapped somewhere in the system even though you can get a hard pedal .I have had luck in using a vacuum pump at the master .the cap should have a very small hole in the top for a vent and you place the handheld vacuum pump hose over that hole.the master should be filled about 3/4 full and if there is a rubber boot in that take it out for this bleeding method .hold the hose tight to that vent hole (if there isn't one you can make a small hole or use the old cap if you still have it .and pump the vacuum pump 3-5 times or so .if there is any air in the system it will be sucked up .this of course with the line attached you should see the level going down a little .You may have to do this a few times but it has always worked for me when air was trapped .even though you bled /gravity the system .try that and please get back to me ..thank you ..jazzmaster ..if that doesn't help ,please don't rate me negative I am just throwing this idea out to you ,it has worked for me many times
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

THANKS,I WILL TRY THIS AND LET YOU KNOW IF IT WORKS.

I SAW A AD FOR A REVERSE BLEEDER IN HOT ROD MAG.IT IS $59.00 THE WEB SIGHT IS www.brakebleeder.com/hotrod . IT LOOKS LIKE IT WORKS ON A DUEL BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER BUT HAS SAME EFFECT AS YOUR METHOD.

Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
ok,let me know if it works ,,thank you ...jazzmaster ...
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
hi, did you try the vacuum method ?
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
hi, did this information help you ?if so please rate me positive as that is the only way I get credit and we can still continue to work on this please don/t rate me if you still need help ..thank you ..jazzmaster