bill
bill, jeep master tech
Experience:  25 years with jeep drivability and electrical expert
5203640

CJR: I am a fat old man and just bought a '75 Jeep from a friend.

Customer Question

I am a fat old man and just bought a '75 Jeep from a friend. The steering wheel is to big for me or I am too big. It is cracked at the rim on all sides. Are there smaller steering wheels available? If so, where do I look for them?
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The seat is great and as far back as it can be. I just need the steering wheel not pressing on my belly. I know it does not have power steering, but I will get over that.
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
hi i'm bill
welcome to just answer
please remember I am NOT there in front of you! my answers are based on your information
you should have a GM steering column in your CJ, so there are tons of aftermarket wheels out there for that, all will require an adapter kit but the choices will be limited to your $$ range.
here is a great company that has been around for years and makes a large selection of steering wheels and the necessary install kit, the install kit will be needed with any aftermarket wheel to match the wheel you select to the column you have.
now since you DO NOT have power steering you will need to be conscious of the wheel diameter, as the larger wheel provides the leverage needed to turn the wheels, a vehicle with power steering can use a much smaller wheel as the pump provides the leverage.
http://www.grantproducts.com/products/browse/steering-wheels/automotive/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You.
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
no problem I miss the older cj and yj jeeps please enjoy yours.
all that's left is to rate the service to complete the question, any positive rating will allow me to help further if needed with this question with no further charges