sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Jeep grand cherokee: 2001 jeep grand cherokee, when driven

Customer Question

2001 jeep grand cherokee, when driven in rain or taken thru car wash the following day suv starts runs for a few seconds then dies, gauges also fail
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
The gauges dropping out is most likely related to the starting and dying. It will start and die if the communication bus system is down and the SKIM module can't communicate with the powertrain control module. If the bus is down then the gauges won't work either.
There are quite a few things that can cause the bus to go down and it will take some electrical testing at the time the problem is acting up to know exactly what is going on. the problem could be wiring or an internal failure in any module. It's very possible that moisture is entering a connector or module and shorting the bus to power or ground preventing communication.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Isn't there a common condition that developes in this vehicle that makes it prone to this phenomina. Insidently when this occurs the windows also fail to operate.
There isn't a single issue that will cause this. The problem coudl be a failure in any module or a short to power or ground on either of the bus wires literally anywhere in the harness.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've recently had the pcm remanufactured which fixed several other issues but not the exposure to water problem. I think my next move will be to jack up jeep and using garden hose, spray a small area and see what happens. Is this a bad idea?
Yes, that's definitely something you can try.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's raining here and I won"t be able to work on Jeep untill tomorrow. In the mean time if yoy have access to a schematic of the engine wiring harness, please forward. Also, if you can give me a few more common examples of fixes for this condition you have made in the past. I have to go to work now, have a good day.
I can answer any specific wiring questions you have but I'm unable to post directly from the service information due to copyright.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The schematic of the engine wiring harness is all over the internet. I think it would have been a better idea to suggest an internet search rather than the nonanswer you submitted. Also you failed to give even one example of a fix for this condition you've made in the past.Frankly, thus far I've only gotten nonanswers from just answer.I then decided to take the jeep to a mechanic. After explaining the history of the condition, he suggested to clean the ground from the pcm to the engine and,just for fun add a seperate ground from the pcm to the battery and if that did not work to bring the jeep in. I have since take the jeep thru multiple car washes and driven in the rain several times with no starting problems.
The problem is going to return as a poor PCM ground will simply cause a no start condition, it won't cause the bus to go down.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have continued to take the jeep through car washes and it continues to start the following day. When do you think the problem will return.
It's quite hard to say when the problem will return or if it was even at all related to taking it through a car wash. Intermittent electrical problems sometimes go weeks without happening.