Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

HelloI have a 1988 wrangler, 258 engine, standard transmission.

Customer Question

Hello
I have a 1988 wrangler, 258 engine, standard transmission. I replaced the blown engine
reman 1985, 258 and re-used the 1988 flywheel and the same starter.when i turn it over ,
it don't sound right something isn't right.I called 4wd.com and the tec said that the flywheel is different on 1983-1987 and the 1988 -1990.I tried a brand new starter and it bangs even louder.the starer in it now ,the drive gear is sloppy and that break.there is a reason they change the flywheel.
Larry
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the only thing i changed was the engine from a 1988 to a 1985 engine.
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 2 years ago.
the crank was changed in 88 in the 258 motor . WAS the motor from a 1985 cj7 automatic ?
the starter is also different the 88 has 10 teeth on the pinion gear while the 85 has 9 teeth.the diameter on the 88 for the flywheel is 13.823 while the 85 is 13.8219 even though you used the 88 it is a tiny bit bigger by over an inchI dont know if the starter for the 85 will fit or work for the 88 drive train..it shows it to not fit the 88 .
what was the reason for getting a 1985 motor instead of an 88 ?
an when you say reman -was this from a parts store type purchase or a reman that was in another vehicle ?
hello, do you still need assistance with this question ?