jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ase certified--32 yrs experience
8668911

Hey im having issues with my 2000 jeep grand cherokee laredo

Customer Question

hey im having issues with my 2000 jeep grand cherokee laredo 4.0 inline 6
Category: Jeep
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
hi, the expert appears not to be online , may I help you ?and what is the problem you have with this vehicle ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Radiator fan. Replaced the relay and the sensor in the thermo housing. fan spins if I wire direct from the battery. And the fuse in the engine bay is good
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
which wire are you running from the battery hot or ground to test the fan ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ran the hot and the fan spun. Tested the ground and it lit the tester. Far as I can tell its good. First I used a clip from the positive to the hot or blue wire. It's not an OE fan. Then I put s tester to both wires
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
so you dont have the hot then to the fan
does the fan work when you put on the a/c
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I did have the hot from the fan to the battery. No it doesn't spin with the AC on either
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
the ground should be there at the fan ,does it have hot to it with the key on ?
there should be 12 volts to the fan motor only when the a/c is turned on or the computer sends a signal
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
hi, do you still need help ?..jazzmaster
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
have you checked the ground wire out yet ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was a ground issue in the harness after the fan connect. I have it hard spliced now but plan to replace the fan and hunt down the faulty ground. Is there any history of the relay connection losing ground? I know the ground wire going into the fan is solid. I'm pretty sure it's somewhere in the wiring harness after the fan connection. Just not sure where to look other than the fan relay. The relay itself is new, but I didn't replace the connect coming from the harness.
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
that should be a black/pink wire for the ground ,that should also be a ground (constant )
did you ground that wire ? and is there always a hot to the radiator fan with the key on ?
or does it work normal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its a black. Its normal
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
so everything works normal with that wire grounded then ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah it works great now. I just want to find where the ground failed
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
that black wire actually goes to the fan relay ,the black/pink is the ground for the fan ,so if you are ground the black one for the fan relay and everything works like it should .then the black wire is the one to be traced down.
that black and pink wire according to the wiring schematic I have is on the same g-108 ground circuit .
where exactly did you splice into that black wire .?
I believe the ground point is on the radiator support ,either near the fan or the relay ..
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
you will have to trace down that black wire .this is not a common problem that I see with this or on other jeeps .
I would look on the radiator support for a ground wire connection,
most likely it is a broken wire at where it bolts/screws to the radiator support .
my diagram shows a common ground on that g108 ground circuit for the fan and for the fan relay .but It's been awhile since I worked on a 2000 jeep .and my schematic doesn't show where the ground point is .
if for anything splicing on that wire doesn't hurt of affect anything and it is safe to leave it like that .
I would say if you want to trace that wire ,then you may have to split apart the wiring harness to see where the break in the circuit is ,if you can't find a bad connection on the radiator support ..jazzmaster ..
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
hi, if you need further assistance please let me know , if I helped you then please rate me positive with a smiley face . thank you ..jazzmaster ..