gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler dealership technician
12249065

Liberty: I started having pretty significant issues with my

Customer Question

I started having pretty significant issues with my 2007 Jeep Liberty today. Was driving to the store and had my battery light come on randomly. Restarted the car after leaving the store, no battery light, made it home safe. Got home started cooking and realized I had to run back to the store...battery light comes back on. Walking out of the store, not thinking about it, I tried to remote start and evidently it was trying to start itself for the 30 seconds it took me to get to the car without luck. So, I put the key in and it starts fine. Driving home, other lights come on, seems like it won't shift properly (was getting up to 4 without shifting at 35 MPH), and smells feels like the engine is really hot when I get home and open the hood to check. Read it could be a belt issue - went out to start, now it just clicks.
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried the turn your key on and off several times to get a code and didn't get anything. I don't think my check engine light ever came on...I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was every light but that one.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried charging the battery and restarting? And with it running, check the battery voltage, if it is charging you should have around 14v or higher. If you are reading 12 or less then you are just running off the battery, no alternator working.
Check for any signs that the belt is glazed on the ribbed side, or cracking, or any signs of heating of the belt, indicating slipping
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The belt looks fine visually. I checked the battery this morning and it read 12.74 while it was not running.I tried starting it with no luck. Didn't even attempt to turn over and made a clickety noise. So I charged it for an hour and a half. The charger meter showed no improvement as if it wasn't holding a charge.I turned the charger to "jump start" setting. Started it up with no hesitation. I let it run for 10 minutes and checked the battery while it was running. It read 15.89.I turned it off, waited a minute and turned it back on. It started without hesitation again. Then after letting it sit for an hour I started it up again without hesitation.I plugged in my diagnostic tool and it came up with code that said it was due to low voltage. There are currently no warning lights on.What would you think the problem is and what would have caused it to start acting so badly out of the blue? If it continues to start, what is the risk of driving it at this point?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
I'm wondering if the problem may be with your starter- not doing anything unless it gets higher than normal voltage to crank it. It may be shorted internally (sporadic, maybe shakes loose when driving), and that is why the battery light came on.