Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

Liberty: Im working on a 2003 jeep liberty that the air conditioning

Customer Question

Im working on a 2003 jeep liberty that the air conditioning compressor kicks on and off every few seconds and the cooling fan never comes on. Doesnt this go through a pcm?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you! Yes the PCM does control the cooling fan through a solid state relay. Tell me when you jumpered the fan, did the compressor stay on longer and was the air cold from the vents?
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually didnt try the compressor when i jumpered the fan, I disconnected it from the harness to jumper it and didnt think any signal would get to the relay or anything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should i bare the wires and jumper it and see if the compressor stays on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How does this work, do i wait for another email?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Well no, But do your jumper thing again by disconnecting the connector and then run the fan and check and see if the compressor stays on. I am thinking your relay is bad.
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to wait till tomorrow to try it. Where is the relay located? Can i catch you online tomorrow for another question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Probably in the engine compartment fuse block? I switched around a couple relays for the compressor and something else. I dont have a manual, what would it be labeled?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
The relay is mounted in the engine compartment left side on the frame It does not look like a normal relay. It is a solid state style relay and is flat, with a 4 wire connector plugged into it. Yes we can pick this up tomorrow if you wish.
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks man!
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome! Do a Google search for "2003 Liberty cooling fan relay location" This may help you see what it looks like
Chris