MoparHeat
MoparHeat, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Master Technician, 8+ years with Chrysler, ASE Certified Automotive Technician
67978266

Commander: I have a 2009 Jeep Commander, the automatic lights

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Jeep Commander, the automatic lights do not come on at night. Also, the factory gps/radio has a auto dim option (daytime, auto, and night) but it does not change wether it may be daytime or night time. I'm not sure what it can be besides the light sensor on top of the dash...any recommendation is really appreciated, thank you.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Thank you for your inquiry. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you...
This would be due to the sun/ambient light sensor on top of the dash. It is a fairly inexpensive part from the dealership and can be easily replaced. Just pry up on the outside edge of the sensor with a small screwdriver or pick and it will pop right up. Disconnect the connector and replace the sensor.
Always glad to help! Please let me know if you need more help or information. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. However, from what I've been reading, wouldn't a missing or "dead" sensor cause the lights to come on all the time? Is there a way to test the sensor before replacing it?
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay in receiving a response.
Most of the time they won't control the automatic headlights and interior lighting when it has failed. Every instance I have had with them were this same issue where they aren't operating automatically. There isn't a test for the sensor. The system normally sets a code corresponding with the sensor detailing the fault. To retrieve the code would require a trip to the dealership or another facility with a high dollar scan tool as this code won't be set in the engine or transmission controller that most scan tools access. As I said, every time I see this issue it has been the sensor. Replacing the sensor should resolve your issue.
Please let me know if you need anything else and good luck in getting the issue resolved. Thank you!