sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

GCL: bill...2001 Jeep GCL..front wipers work on/off just

Customer Question

hi bill...2001 Jeep GCL..front wipers work on/off just fine..the delay function does not..they stop and start very randomly..any ideas please
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If high and low speeds work normally but they stop in random places on intermittent it could be a body controller issues or the BCM may be seeing an incorrect park switch input. The park switch is in the wiper motor and closes when the motor passes through where the blades would be in the park position. A failed park switch or short to ground on the circuit will cause the BCM to think the arms are in the correct position to park and this will stop them in random places.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so safe to say since i have no other issues with the switch...replace the wiper motor
It could be the motor, the BCM, or a park switch wiring issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If it wer the bcm would ther be other symptons since it controlls so much....if it makes a difference...the on/off relay in the pcm box clicks everytime the wipers move while on delay..
One function of any electrical component can fail and not affect other aspects of it's operation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i see well probably best to replace the motor and the bcm to resolve this issue...could you help me locate the bcm...picture diagram...anything...i looked for it today and did not really locate it under the dash
The BCM is mounted to the front of the fuse box under the dash, facing the firewall. Here is a photo of the module itself:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/Wq4AAOSwEeFVBC~K/The BCM is mounted to the front of the fuse box under the dash, facing the firewall. Here is a photo of the module itself:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/Wq4AAOSwEeFVBC~K/$_35.JPG35.JPG
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok...four screws ...two plugs and off it comes...got it...im gonna replace both bcm an motor....tight fit under there im sure....thanks for the guidance...tips for removing the bcm?
It is easiest if you remove the panel just above and behind the steering column and then remove the panel under the column. Then you can remove the bolts that hold the junction block (fuse box) and pivot the junction block rearward, this will make it easier to access the BCM.