Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Jeep cherokee sport: my 2001 jeep Cherokee sport sometimes

Customer Question

my 2001 jeep Cherokee sport sometimes when it has been driven for awhile and shut off when I try to start it will it will run rough like it is flooded for about 30 seconds what do you think
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved. Is the check engine light on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have also replaced the oxy sensor
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Do you know what diagnostic codes your getting? Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't know the code
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Turn key on-off-on-off-on within 5 seconds and it should be displayed on odometer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I turned the key on-off-on-off-on and did not get any thing
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
You can have codes checked with a scan tool at your local parts store for free too. Do that and let me know what codes are. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok it will be awhile
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
No problem, keep me updated. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The code is P1494 and PO303
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
P1494 would be caused by a failed leak detection pump but this would not cause the drivability problems. p0303 means cylinder 3 misfire which could cause this problem. it sounds like cylinder 3 may have a leaking injector. You will want to pull injector rail while monitoring for leaks. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does this mean replace the injector?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Assuming it leaks but you will first want to pull injector rail to monitor injector to see if it is leaking. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pulled the injector rail there is no leaks, but this problem only happens once out of about 10 or 12 starts other wise it starts up good
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Swap injector 3 with another cylinder to see if misfire moves, if so replace injector. If not you may have a sticking valve. In this case suck some seafoam into engine using vacuum line and pour some directly into cylinder 3. Let sit over night to soak then in morning run in low gear at high rpm. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions. Thanks.