sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Compass: I have a 2011 Jeep Compass with 155.000 miles - that

Customer Question

I have a 2011 Jeep Compass with 155.000 miles - that has been at a dealer repair shop for 2 weeks now.
While driving one morning I started to notice a high pitched whine while accelerating this lasted about 5 miles as I was heading to the dealership to have it looked at, after the 5 mile mark the vehicle would not get above 5 miles per hour. Pulled over at that point and had it towed to dealer.
I originality was told that the CVT Transmission had gone out and could not be rebuilt, it would be a $3900 job. I authorized that and a new unit was ordered the dealership started work yesterday and now have informed me they have "run into a problem the power take-off unit does not want to separate and they are afraid they will damage it" and are now asking me to authorize it's replacement as well for an additional $1100 in parts plus labor.
I have all the obvious questions...
Is this a legit problem?
Why should I pay for something they break?
Having a tough time seeing how investing $5000 in repairs into a vehicle that is probably only worth about $6000 is a good idea.
Thank you
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
The power transfer unit is bolted to the side of the transmission and is what transmits power to the rear differential, it's essentially a single speed transfer case.
What happens is corrosion develops between the two over the years, which will be worse if you're in a wet climate, road salt is used, the vehicle has low miles/sits for extended periods, or you're near the ocean (salt air).
The PTU has to be removed from the transmission to get the trans out. What has happened is the two have corroded together to the point that they believe there may be damage to the trans or PTU if they use more force to remove it and they're letting you know before they use enough force to damage it. Besides penetrating oil the only real way to get it apart is to force the two apart.