Dave
Dave, Jeep Master Tech
Experience:  Chrysler Triple Master, ASE master Tech AA degree in Auto.
11019023

Grand Cherokee: I brought my car in last week

Customer Question

I brought my car in for detailing last week and the guy who did the detailing said "I might have screwed up your seat settings while cleaning". He did so I reset my memory driver 1. ( I have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee ) BUT the one thing that will not work is the driver assist seat that goes back approx 6 inches to allow easy exit from vehicle. I tried turning on and off on the vehicles computer system. It says it's on as indicated with a check mark but still doesn't work.brought to the dealer thinking it has to be some quick fix but they told me 100.00 to figure out the problem any ideas?
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By the way my malfunction indicator light went on this morning too
Expert:  Dave replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for allowing me to help you. Please remember that all I have to work with is what you tell me so please excuse the questions. Unfortunately the dealer always quotes out a hour diagnostic charge especially for something that is electrical.
Please excuse me if I say something that is obvious, I do not do it to offend you but because I do not know your level of knowledge or anything else and I do not want to leave anything out that might help you.
Knowing the malfunction indicator light is lit then we know there is a diagnostic code present. The first thing you need to do is go someplace like AutoZone and have them scan the modules and tell you what code is set and turning the light on.
Until we know what the code is anything I tell you would be pure conjecture and could be way off base. I do not want to tell you to do something that is a waste of your time or testing something that has nothing wrong with it.
If you could please find out what the code is and let me know we can then start testing the correct system, wiring circuit etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well that light went off as quick as it went on. I've driven three separate trips today without it going on. Does that help? So back to the seat issue.
Expert:  Dave replied 1 year ago.
What it means by the light going out is that what ever system that set the code in the first place has now passed a self test so it turned the light out.
would still be very helpful to know what the code is. Even though the light is out the code will be stored in memory.
Would also be helpful if the person that did the detail work could tell you why he thought he may have gotten your settings messed up. As you know it isn't something that is easily changed just by wiping the switch off. Did a connector come apart or what. maybe nothing happened would just be nice to know if something did happen.
Without knowing what the code is or going off the assumption there is no code for the easy exit/memory seat system the most likely cause would be a failing memory seat module especially if under settings it shows that function being enabled but it is not functioning.
Things that I do before telling a customer its the module are: changing all memory settings, change where the seat should be, where the mirror should be and disable the easy exit setting. test and make sure the new positions did get stored and the seat and mirror do go to the new locations. repeat this procedure by putting everything where you want them to be and enabling the easy exit setting. See if it now works.
Try doing this with two different keys and with both memory one and two settings. See if you have the same issue with both or if one works and not the other.
Try setting the memory to where the seat is much closer to the steering wheel and see if it now moves rearward when you shut the key off.
Try pushing the seat rearward while holding the seat switch in the rearward position to make sure the module has learned where the actual farthest rearward position is. Believe it or not the module can be tricked into thinking the farthest rearward position possible is farther then the module is allowing the seat to go. By pushing back against the seat while holding the switch in the rearward position will make the seat go farther if it is actually stopping before the rearward most position.
If you are unable to get it to function after doing the above then you will need to bring it in and have a scan tool hooked up to it to see if the module is actually seeing what you are putting the settings at or not. It is possible that even though you have enabled the easy exit setting and your display is showing that it is enabled the module itself may be seeing it as not enabled. The scan tool can also be used to control the seat to insure all electrical wiring and connectors are ok and is the final step in testing the system before replacing any parts.
Please feel free to ask me any other questions regarding this or giving me any further information you can think of that might help us to pin the problem down. However, if every other function of the memory seats is working correctly except for the easy exit setting the module itself is the most likely source of your issue.
If you do happen to find out what the code is that's in memory please let me know what it is. It may or may not have anything to do with it but you never know. Not to many things can go wrong any more without a code being left behind.
Expert:  Dave replied 1 year ago.
Diagnostic Code = B1D9B–SEAT HORIZONTAL FRONT STOP NOT LEARNED
For the Power Seat System circuit diagram (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/POWER SEATS - SCHEMATICS AND DIAGRAMS)
For a complete wiring diagram Refer to Section 8W.
² When Monitored:
Whenever the seat motor is activated.
² Set Condition:
Seat becomes de-standardized. If the seat is not standardized, an Easy Exit/Entry function can not be performed.
If seat is standardized (learn seat cushion horizontal front hardstop) and then becomes de-standardized
(conditions are: seat cushion motor is 5% past the expected hard stop position or seat cushion hall sensor
failure is occured), a DTC is logged.
The above is one of the codes that can be set by the memory module and condition that would disable the easy exit function. This is why it is important to have the module scanned and note what DTC is set and relaying that information to me.
The information below demonstrates the need of a Jeep scan tool in order to do proper and complete diagnostics.
Diagnostic Test
1. CHECK FOR RELATED DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES
Turn the ignition on.
With the scan tool, read DTC’s.
Does the scan tool display any seat position sensor or circuit performance DTC’s?
Yes >> Diagnose and repair the other DTC(s) first. Refer to the Table of Contents in this Section for a complete
list of symptoms.
No >> Go To 2
2. TEST FOR INTERMITTENT CONDITION
Turn the ignition on.
With the scan tool, record and erase DTC’s
Move the seat in the full forward horizontal position.
With the scan tool, read DTC’s.
Does the scan tool display B1D9B–SEAT HORIZONTAL FRONT STOP NOT LEARNED?
Yes >> With the scan tool, perform the MSM Standard Routine.
Perform POWER SEAT SYSTEM VERIFICATION TEST - VER 1.
No >> The conditions that caused this code to set are not present at this time. Using the wiring diagram/schematic
as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors.