Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport RH Side front window. Intermittently

Customer Question

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport
RH Side front window.
Intermittently will not operate . Repeated attempts with the switch will result in the window operating. Will always operate if the window has been left in a fully closed position. Switch or Regulator?
I do not want to be a "parts re placer".
***Approx two years ago I took the Liberty to JEEP because I was hearing a "clicking" Sound coming from the LH front door...like a relay was sticking. JEEP said there was no issue. I still continued to hear the clicking sound...***
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you! Sounds like the regulator motor to me, however just to be sure, swap one of the other passenger door switches out with the right front window switch. If the problem goes away, then you know it is the switch. If it continues, then it is the regulator motor. I think it is the motor based on what I have seen at the dealer I work at.
I hope this helps,
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MY apology. It is the LH front switch. A gang switch...which may or may not include the lock botton and power window switch. NOT sure as I have not removed the switch or switch bezel to see how the switch is configured.
Please re assess and advise.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Oh okay. If that is the case then you will need to do some testing. Do you have a 12 volt test light handy?
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sir, though I can purchase one.
Additionally, I mis spoke:The 5 gang switch may include the switch for the door locks as well as the control for the power mirrors .. making it a 7 gang switch.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok, well if you can, get one. Then I can send you a wiring diagram for that main switch. Then you can check for voltage at the wires from the switch to the motor regulator. Let me know when you get the light and we can then proceed.
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. will be tomorrow
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. I will look for your reply tomorrow. Have a good evening!
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good evening.
I have procured the test light.
Do I need to turn the key and power on, activate the switch and touch one side of the switch with the test light to see if there is juice leaving the switch?
The bezel around the gang switch. Do you pry that off (the bezel)of the arm rest to access the switch, or does one pull the interior door trim panel to get to the switch?
Please advise on all maters.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Let me get to my laptop and get this information to you. I just got up, and will be able to get it within the next hour.
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stake your time. I am doing an online course now on critical care....I am a nurse. Prior to my new life, I had 20 years automotive parts management...Mopar, Ford and GM.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok, found some info for you. Copy and paste the links below into your browser's address bar and hit enter to see the wiring diagram and the switch removal procedure. The 2 wires you will be checking are Orange with a White stripe, and Orange with a light Green stripe. You can back probe the terminal in the connector with the test light. One wire should show voltage when the switch is operated in the up position, and one wire should how voltage when it is operated in the down position. If you do have power at the switch, then the problem is with the motor. I hope this helps, and good luck with your new nursing career!
Chris
.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0blijyrm7tj12yn/2012%20Liberty%20power%20win.doc?dl=0
.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hr7sluq0ks8be1d/Liberty%20PW%20switch.doc?dl=0
.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still need help with your problem?
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the follow up.
It is the switch. I have ordered one and as soon as it arrives, I will install it.
Thank you
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome! Let me know if all goes well after the switch is installed
Chris