Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

CRV: I have two jeeps, a 05 Lib CRV and 96 GC. They ran good

Customer Question

I have two jeeps, a 05 Lib CRV and 96 GC. They ran good yesterday. Today the O5 has seatbelt light and Anti-theft light are on. Key turns loose, but does not spring back and does not start. Trans will not shift out. The 96 has a flashing VI display, but otherwise seems to run. Am I a victim of 2 theft attempts or is it related to small thunder storm last night? What is the fix?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.
Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.
I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.
If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The 96 GC reset over night and is OK. The 05 Lib CRD still has seatbelt light and Anti-theft light on. Key turns loose in ignition but does not spring back and does not start. No signs of tampering. The Trans will not shift out of park. I had the battery disconnected all night. Am I a victim of 2 theft attempts(car theft is unknown in my neighborhood) or is it related to small thunder storm last night? What is the fix?
We are only allowed to address one concern and vehicle per post. Let me know which to address on this question.
A thunderstorm can effect electronics and fuses, but not hard parts. Like the ignition lock cylinder not spring back, a lightning strike can not do that but something shoving a screwdriver into the tumblers and trying to turn it can. Do you have a scan tool to see which codes are stored?
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I said, the 96 seems OK now, but the 05 Liberty has these significant issues. No, the lock was not pryed and there are no tool marks. I was a cop for 30 years and know what a screwdriver will do to an ignition. It turns a little bit sloppy (you don't fee the individual stages) and does not spring back. The Vehicle will not shift out of Park. Could any type of electical short or nearby lightning strike have caused this? The vehicle is not damaged. I did not lock the car, so no damage to the door. I don't even lock my house. If a theft had been attempted, are these the classic signs? How do I repair them. That type of repair is not found in the Chiltons. I am a decent shade tree mechanic. End state, I want a car that runs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I do not have a scan tool. I would gladly buy one but the fact that this is a CRD seems to cause trouble for scanners. I have not found a Autozone or Advanced Auto that can scan this vehicle. I have read dozens of posts online and there is substantial confusion about how to get a scanner to work for this car. If you can advise me, I will be greatful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to mention, The steering wheel does not lock any more. I never heard a sound or alarm, but I did sleep through the storm. I did disconnect the battery last night, When I connected this AM, no changes. The Theft Light and Seatbelt light were still on, even when the Ignition is off. The battery is dead now as the I could not shut it off all day.