sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Commander Overland: Brad! I have an issue with my 2008 Jeep

Customer Question

Hi Brad! I have an issue with my 2008 Jeep Commander. The 730n RER head unit appears fine but I have very little volume and only from one speaker, the front drivers side. This issue arise after I fixed the sun roof drain clog issue by removing the trim and cleaning the end of the tube, etc. I took it to the dealer who said my head unit has an internal problem and is not putting out info (?). I bought another head unit (an RES) and installed it but have the SAME issue so I do t believe it's the head unit. Any ideas?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
The most likely cause for this would be an internal failure in the amp, especially if the radio has been replaced already.
Signal goes from the radio to the amp and then from the amp to the speakers. The problem could be the amp itself, a poor power or ground, or a wiring issue from the amp to speakers, although it's unlikely to be an issue on the output side. The powers and grounds shoudl be load tested and it wouldn't be a bad idea to check for a short to ground on the speaker inputs and outputs, if ok then the amp can be condemned.