Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4wd 4.0 6cyl selec trac when

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4wd 4.0 6cyl selec trac when the vehicle gets hot it makes grinding/binding noise in front end. I thought it was the wheel hub assy replaced still made noise replaced cv axle still makes noise only when hot. Oh and I have a horrible grinding noise when I hit brakes. Noise goes away in 4wd so I took out the front driveshaft what do you know the noise went away as well as the noise while braking. I greased the heck out of the driveshaft and put it back in tonight took for a quick test drive and the noise is back in the brakes but haven't heard the other noise yet. My question is how do I know if it is in fact the front driveshaft or if it's a problem with the transfer case the driveshaft cost a good 350 bucks and if that's not the problem I don't want to be stuck with it
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
If you have a binding feel when this occurs as if the front wheels are grabbing and hopping when turning tightly at slow speeds this is a tell tale this is a fault in the transfer case itself with the components binding in the transfer case.I have seen this occur several times before and in some cases just changing out the fluid in the transfer case will correct this here but in other cases the transfer case needs removed and taken apart for inspection and repair or removed and replaced.
If this is not what is occurring here let me know.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe I'm describing the noise correctly the car is def not hopping and the tires are not grabbing at all. Like I said this all goes away with the front driveshaft out but just not sure if it's that or transfer case
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
If it is the drive shaft this would be a fault with the connection joints on the drive shaft itself.The u joints or joints on the drive shaft need inspected for any wear or damage needing replaced or repaired.Usually a drive shaft repair facility can check this fully for you for a small fee if you do not see anything obvious with it yourself.
Usually though if the noise is more pronounced or only occurs when warm this wouldn't be the drive shaft at fault.I am leaning more towards the transfer case at fault or the front differential itself with a component being worn internally.I have seen bearing failure in both of these as well as incorrect ring and pinion gear wear cause this as well.More common is the transfer case itself needing either removed and disassembled for repair or removed and replaced.
Thanks Pete
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete