sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler Jeep: when I turn the ignition there is absolutely

Customer Question

when I turn the ignition there is absolutely nothing. The dome comes on the radio works stuff like that. I had a friend come over with his battery charger and he hooked it up and we charged it for an hour. When he came back we tried it and it started. He checked the alternator and it was good and he said if it died again it was probably the battery. Two days later I got in to drive it and it did the same thing. There is no clicking or anything when you turn the ignition. Its just nothing. So I went and bought a new battery and it didn't change anything. I've checked the cables and they are good. I did notice that the voltage gauge only comes up to about a quarter when the ignition is turned on. Where do I start?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
It will most likely take some electrical testing to determine what you have going on.
Try swapping the starter relay if you haven't already. If that doesn't help then electrical testing will really need to be done to determine the cause.
Possible causes for the starter not engaging at the ignition switch, a broken lock cylinder, starter relay, the starter, cables and connections, but the most common cause of lack of starter engagement on these was the transmission range sensor. The range sensor is on the right side of the trans and moves with the shift linkage and is what supplies the starter relay with ground to allow the relay to turn on.