Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Grand Cherokee Laredo: , My jeep has no a/c and all i

Customer Question

Hello, My jeep has no a/c and all i get is hot air. Last Saturday when I was out of state, I went to the repair shop and a mechanic was clueless about what's wrong so he filled up a freon. So I went out and checked to see if it's working. It worked for a while with only cool air coming out. Then next day not working at all, just a hot air coming out.
I think freon is leaking without a doubt. What do you think?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I agree 100% that there is a leak in the ac system.
To leak out this quickly, there are 2 possible causes
a hole in the condensor that sits in front of the radiator, from road debris being thrown up and hitting it,
or the evaporator is leaking. The evaporator is inside the hvac housing that is behind the dash. this is a VERY, VERY common failure in these Grand Cherokees.
You can check for holes in the condensor and replace it if found. If none found, then it is the evaporator.
The evaporator is a 8 hour job as the whole dash and steering column have to come out to replace it
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?