Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

Jeep Grand Cherokee: there 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Blend

Customer Question

Hello there 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Blend Door actuator. Symptom was that passenger side vents warm air. Accessed and removed the actuator motor and found the gear in pieces. When observing actuator I see that it just spins in a single direction which could be what broke the gear in the first place. Anything additional I should troubleshoot or should I replace both gear and motor or just the gear? Also is there a procedure to align the gear - blend door - actuator when reassembling? ***@******.***
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you! It is designed to spin like that. The HVAC control head can monitor the current of the motor and see when it stalls out when the door is moved fully to the hot or cold position, then it turns off the voltage to the motor. I say just to be safe, replace the motor and gear. Brad there is no indexing procedure, just remove the negative battery cable before installing the new motor. Then the HVAC control head will "learn" the motor's position and stall points.
I hope this helps,
Chris