Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master...30+ years...Shop owner..engine builder..collision structural repair
2947720

I have a 1988 Jeep Wrangler. It is not firing and I have replaced the

Customer Question

I have a 1988 Jeep Wrangler. It is not firing and I have replaced the Battery, Spark Plugs and Coil. Would you have any suggestions?
I read somewhere of a "Parking Switch" and don't have a clue of what or where it's located.
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.
.
Most times if the rotor is turning and there is no spark with a good coil it is in the ignition control unit, (module). It can't be repaired and has to be replaced.
.
The Ignition Module is located on the left-hand side of the engine compartment under the coolant reservoir.
.
Here is a picture of what it looks like.
.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sy5ttzgys39fy44/Module.gif?dl=0
.
Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.
.
Thanks and come again, anytime.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Parts stores don't stock and can't get it. Have to check with the jeep dealer and they're not open today.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
The dealership(s) most likely won't be able to get one because of the age of the vehicle. Best bet would be Ebay, Amazon and such. They do happen to list one on Autozone's website though. Originally $452 from Jeep, $63 at Autozone.
.
http://www.autozone.com/ignition-tune-up-and-routine-maintenance/ignition-control-module/jeep/wrangler-4wd/1988/6-cylinders-c-4-2l-2bl?filterByKeyWord=ignition+control+module&fromString=search
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bought one at O'Riley's but still nothing. Forget it, I'm carrying it to a shop and stop buying all these parts. It will be cheaper!!!
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Ok, sorry to hear that, I will send it for a refund. Thank you for using the site and please come again, anytime. Also please don't rate the answer, that will only punish me for trying to help you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay