Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Grand cherokee: I have a 2005 jeep grand cherokee with the

Customer Question

I have a 2005 jeep grand cherokee with the hemi it will turn over but not crank I have changed the crank position sensor the coil pack on cylinder 6 which kept melting any I just took it to the jeep service dept and they reset the computer and ran full diagnostic on it Tuesday what else may be the problem
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is also a clicking under the hood when attempting to turn the engine over also had the battery tested it was fine
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome!
My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.
If you are saying that the engine cranks over but does not start, then we need to check fuel and spark when cranking it over.
You could have a bad fuel pump or even a bad camshaft position sensor as well as an engine mechanical related condition (broken flex plate, timing chain or crankshaft) causing the erratic spark issue to certain ignition components.
Also, be sure to check for codes in the computer as this will help point you in the right direction.
Customer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We've already checked these and changed the crank position sensor fuel pump is fine
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Ok good!then your next step is to check for spark while cranking and to check for codes in the computer.
If there is spark, then we see if the engine will run on starting fluid.
If there is no spark, we check the ASD relay and circuit.
Customer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do we check the asd relay and circuit
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
You can use a voltmeter it a test light. Make sure that the ignition coil and injectors are getting power when you first turn the key on and while cranking.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's not getting any spark
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Do the coils have power while cranking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No they don't
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Okay you will need to verify that the computer is a week with the Key on. If so and the cam and crank sensors are good and the ASD relay and circuit are working. The PCM is bad and will need to be replaced.
Customer