Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Sport: I have a 200 jeep wrangler sport with about 116k miles

Customer Question

I have a 200 jeep wrangler sport with about 116k miles on it. I have been on a road trip starting in Florida and traveling to Minnesota and currently in New Mexico. The problem literally only started in New Mexico. Here is the problem:
While driving on the interstate the engine just suddenly died. The RPM went to 0. But everything else stayed on and there was no CRL on. After a few minutes I was able to turn it over and drive it to the next city for a mechanic. They ran a full diagnostic and checked everything and couldn't find anything. They said the jeep looked perfect from everything they were able to find from the dignostic and visual. They said it could be a bad or clogged fuel filter. I went ahead and just replaced the whole filter and pump hoping to get this resolved. Well, back on the highway and it all of a sudden does the same exact thing. I'm getting it towed back to them at their dime but I'm curious to know the heck is going on
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved. The common part to fail causing this symptom is the crankshaft position sensor, I would go ahead and just have it replaced. It is about a hour labor to replace and a $140 for the part. The part is fairly easy to install yourself if you have tools available. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What tools would I need? And can you get it at an autozone or similar place?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
All you should need is a socket set, bolt holding sensor in place is either 10mm or 12mm. Here are instructions from manual, let me know if you run into questions. Thanks
-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqqu8gcivmgxw7j/1433.PNG?dl=0
-