Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

98 grand cherokee lorado: my 08 jeep granbd ckerokee keeps

Customer Question

my 08 jeep granbd ckerokee keeps shuuing down it start up but will shut down after a few min. while drivind will shut down and have trouble starting will have to sit for a short time 10-15 min for it to start
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my 98 jeep grand cherokee laredo keeps shuuing down it start up but will shut down after a few min. while drivind will shut down and have trouble starting will have to sit for a short time 10-15 min for it to start
16 May 2015 09:13 got a tune up plugs filter oil change the woks also changed crank,map,&idle sensors still no change
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome!
My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.
Did you still need help?
Have you checked the fuel pressure when this happens?
Are there any codes in the computer?
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no codes but checked fuel not pressure but fuel shoots out of valve at injectors
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
So does the engine lose spark when it does not start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't know I'm usually on the road when this happens
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Like today it's pretty worm not much of apron but on cold or rainy days major prob
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Ok, if your absolutely sure there is plenty of fuel pressure when this happens, then are there is no spark preventing the engine from running.
My experience has been that this is caused by a bad camshaft position sensor or crankshaft position sensor. Were both of these sensors replaced? If not, this would be your first step. Both of these sensors are very important to the computer and both are needed to start and run the engine.
Now, if both of those sensors were replaced and the engine still does not have spark, then we need to check the computer and the ASD relay when this happens. We need to be sure that the computer is "awake" with the key on (because the computer could simply be bad or just not powered up), or the computer may be ok but there may be an issue with the ASD relay and or circuit.
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The crank shaft sensor was replaced but not the camshaft sensor Where is the camshaft sensor located and where is the ASD relay and what is the ASD relay?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
The camshaft position sensor is located inside the distributor.
The ASD relay is located inside the power distribution center under the hood.
The ASD relay provides power to the ignition coil and fuel injectors.
I am glad I can help! Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "excellent service" for assisting you today.
It has been a pleasure working with you.
Customer
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
It'sCustomerfrom just answer. I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?
Let me know!
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sunday& mon. Ran no problem changed out the ASD relay but today tues. It rainy & balmy same prob shut down twice while driving
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Did you replace the distributor assembly (camshaft position sensor)?
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We replaced it about 8-9 mouth ago
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that does not mean it is good.
I have seen bad new parts right out of the box.
When the engine stalls and does not restart, you need to check for spark and fuel. You also need to check the ASD relay operation and see if the computer is grounding/activating the ASD relay when cranking it over (when it does not start). If not, you need to check the PCM and inputs to be sure they are correct.
Customer
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Let me know!
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did not get a chance to replace the distributor assembly switched out the ASD relay ran fine all day Wednesday but shit down today backfired restarted immediately runs normally
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Ok, no problem!
Meanwhile, please don't forget to rate my answer for assisting you with your question.
I will be here if you have any further questions.
Customer
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Let me know!
Customer
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
I see you have viewed my last post but have not replied back.
Did you have any further questions or is there anything else I can assist you with?
Customer