Mark
Mark, 22 Year Factory trained technician
Experience:  Jeep factory training........25 years in the industry.
12104952

Grand Cherokee Limites: Mark. I have read your reply

Customer Question

Hello Mark. I have read your reply on this topic in regards ***** ***** short somewhere in the system. I isolated the issue by removing fuse 16. My issue is that the Jeep may run for 20-30 minutes and several miles before the ASD fuse blows. If it was a short issue wouldn't it blow immediately? I began inspecting wires around the 02 sensors and will jump under the hood tonight to check out the injector wires. Based on my description does this sound like a bare wire issue since it does not happen right away?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Mark replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer Jeep my name is Mark.
A fuse will blow when there is a power source that gets shorted to ground. This can occur from an internal failure of a component or a wiring issue such as frayed/bare wiring.
Sometimes these shorts can develop due to heat caused by the operating temperature of the component or the underhood temps in general.
On the surface, yes, a bare wire would sound like the most likely cause, so be sure and check out the wire harness in areas where it mat rub against something or make tight bends.
Hope that helps........let me know if you need anything further, Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This does not address my question. I get the bare wire issue and fully explained that. I can run the car for some time before the fuse blows which leads me to believe that the alternator blows the fuse after a bit of run time or possibly the CPS. A bare wire touch another wire or metal would cause an immediate fuse blow once power is applied.
Expert:  Mark replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply.
Without pulling up the wiring diagram for your specific vehicle, I can't say whether or not the alternator is on that fuse circuit. If it's not on that circuit, then it won't be your issue unfortunately.
The CPS is likely on that circuit and as I mentioned and internal issue with a component can certainly cause a fuse to blow, so that is a possibility to consider.
When the engine is running and you are driving, there are vibrations that occur that can cause movement in wire harnesses, so you can have a bare wire that only touches ground when it is vibrated in such a way as it contacts metal/ground so don't discount the wiring just yet.
Hope that helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mark- I want to rate your service but the only ratings range from Good to Poor. I do not want to give you a poor rating but you did not address my questions you only repeated what you did from a previous question. I have since gotten better answers elsewhere so we no longer need to continue this conversation.