EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience
34559540

TJ: Last week my Jeep started running a little funny, sputtering

Customer Question

Last week my Jeep started running a little funny, sputtering a little at low RPM and dies randomly, also the oil pressure gage would peg to 80psi and then the check engine light came on. Pulled the codes and I got a P1391 code so I replaced the crankshaft position sensor and I also noticed that I had a little play in the camshaft sensor assembly so I swapped it as well. Good news is that the code went away but the jeep still randomly dies and the oil pressure gage will spike as well. So what am I looking for now? A short in the wiring harness? Bad ECM? Could a problem with the oil pressure sending unit cause this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Does the oil pressure gage spike when (or before) the engine dies? Or do these happen at unrelated times?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The oil pressure doesn't always max out before it dies, but more often than not. Also, once the gage has max out, if I leave the key on the gage stays that way even after the engine has stopped running...

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Ok. If the oil pressure sender wire shorts to ground it will peg the gage. You can verify that by removing the wire from the sending unit and applying it to ground. I have seen issues with the wires rubbing on the block. You may have other wires in the same location chaffed as well causing the stalling. I would recommend start by tracing the wires, from the oil pressure sending unit, around the engine bay and check for signs of chaffing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** *****

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome. Let me know how it turns out. And please rate my service. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there a possibility that it could be the ECM?

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Yes it could be. If the ecm is internally shorted. And I have replaced many jeep ecms before. Not particularly for this concern though. But I would check the wiring first.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks again, I will let you know how it turns out. :-)

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Ok sounds good. Thank you.