Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

Liberty: Richard. I'm Jeanne. I was just reading this convo

Customer Question

Hi Richard. I'm Jeanne. I was just reading this convo here from 4 years. My shifter is stuck in park. I see you referenced a page in the owners manual to override the shifter. I need to drive 120 miles today. If I can override the shifter, would it be a bad idea to drive my Jeep today? Is this something that needs to be fixed ASAP? Thanks!
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!!!

My name is ***** ***** I'm a 16 yr Dodge-Chrysler-Jeep dealership technician that will be helping you today. ***NOTE*** This is not a FREE site, the deposit you placed will not credit me unless you rate me positive, and feel free to reply to me as many times as needed even after the rating.

Can you tell me if you hear a click in the shifter when you press the brakes? If so then the shifter is bad, if not then it could be a bad brake light switch.. If you hear a click then I would replace the shifter, and there is no danger in not fixed it asap except for not being able to get it into gear..

Let me know,
Brad
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I guess I don't hear a click. Was going to try to disengage the shift interlock thing.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry this is taking way too long. I needed help 30 minutes ago.

Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
Jeanne,

To release the shifter you will need to remove the center console. Do you need instructions to do this?

Brad
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm probably not going to be able to do that on my own. I just need to get to work. Thanks anyway.