Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

Wrangler sport: . i have a 2011 Jeep Wrangler sport.

Customer Question

hello. i have a 2011 Jeep Wrangler sport. i have been having issues with it loosing oil. burning? 5w20 regular oil. it raps terrible. full or not. i also have a 'miss' at low rpms. it's feels like i am driving over a wash board. i took it to a dealership. i asked for them to change the oil and change the spark plugs it was around 40,000. i kept the spark plugs #2 looks burnt. they changed the air filter and did something to the throttle because of high carbon build up. i am a little poor this pay and oil change time. i had my son do it (he lives 2 hours away)he just messaged me that there is metal shards in the oil. WTF? what is going on with it? i am distraught.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
MY name is Gary
I am sorry for the long wait
where the metal shards on the tip of the drain plug that sticks into the oil pan ?
does this engine still rap terrible loud ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the metal shards were in the used motor oil drain pan. the rapping gets louder as the oil burns off.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
if the oil is full will it make this noise ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, and not always. when the rpms are around 1 to 2 and pulling a hill at a slow speed 35 mpg.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
the odds are if there is metal in the oil pan and you are hearing a rapping noise like this there is a bottom end crank bearing failing causing this issue
the oil pan needs to come off and inspect all the bottom crank bearings to see which ones are failing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
really? how am i going to convince the dealership of this?? it is still under warranty. with 5,000 miles left
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
bring it to them and duplicate the noise for them
im assuming that's where this noise is being generated from but i am not there to hear that noise myself
if its under warranty if you duplicate the noise for them they should be able to fix it
as for the oil loss they need to perform an oil consumption test to see if its burning too much oil
if it is and they document that in fact it is then they will fix that issue also
but the bot***** *****ne is it is under warranty and once they hear this noise they can correct what ever is making that noise
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok - i had it to them once. they said they could not find what was making the noise and the misfire was still evident after they changed the oil, cleaned the throttle, changed the air filter and spark plugs.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
well they need to find out the issue or have them send it to a dealer to fix the noise and they should pay for it all
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hell, i paid over 700 the dealership did do the repairs that couldn't find the problem now what?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
why were you paying for something under warranty ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
good question. the spark plugs were at my request. i thought the misfire was from a bad plug. which #2 was carboned up pretty bad. they said the carbon on the throttle was normal wear.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
the basic tune up things like spark plugs and oil chanaged ect.. are customer pay
but there is a noise they need to find and also do an oil consumption test to see if tis burning more oil than it should
BOTH of those should be covered under warranty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are there any codes that would come up when this bearing is going? or that would indicate it??
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
no
no codes would set for that
but like i said im assuming on this noise especially with the metal chips
the key to this problem is duplicate the noise for the shop and they need to hear the noise then fix it for free
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they did duplicate it. they admitted there was a misfire they could not determine the cause. they acknowledged the excess oil consumption was making the valves rap. i paid for the repairs.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
ok under warranty they need to fix this truck or have you bring it to a shop that will fix it correctly and they pay the bill
its that simple or file for lemon law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok but i don't see it being that simple. thanks - i lost most of my paper work in my house fire. i am mortified and heart broken over this. i am a jeep lover. i am on the Bantam Jeep festival committee, been a volunteer for 4 years, i promoted Jeeps even before i owned one.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
i really have done all i can for you at this point
other than being there in person to hear the noise you have to demand the shop to fix these problems or if they can not fix it they need to pay another shop to fix it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. i will be calling them later and scheduling an appt. i am going to tell them that my son changed the oil and found shards in the oil and that i need it looked at asap. that the rapping and misfire is still happening. does that sound right? should i ask them to change the oil again and drop the pan and look at the bearing??
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
dont ask them to change the oil at all
tell them its using too much oil and you hear a load rapping noise like something is going to break out of inside the engine and leave it at that
under warranty you should pay NOTHING
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. what about the shards that were found? should i tell them that?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
no
when they find the issue it will be corrected with no more shards
the more you tell them you touched and worked on this yourself or your son the easier its going to be for them to say that you or your son caused this issue
just bring it there and tell them about the noise and using oil and thats it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
anytime
dont forget to rate us here at Justanswer !