Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I live in Africa and I own a 1999 Grand Cherokee. I love it.

Customer Question

I live in Africa and I own a 1999 Grand Cherokee. I love it. But it has one major issue that seems no mechanical can fix in my country. The engine goes off as I drive. I changed the fuel filter and fuel pump. The problem continued. pls assist
*****@******.***
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Can I start by getting your VIN? Also, have you checked for codes in the computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
VIN 1J4GW 68S1XC 751553
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know how to check on the car computer
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the VIN! Unfortunately it is not coming back as a valid vin. Maybe because of your location?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Anyway, I will tell you what the most possible/likley causes are for this stalling condition.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Camshaft position sensorCrankshaft position sensorInstrument clusterPCMBCM
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the meaning of PCM and BCM?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
These are the things we replace all of a time for this stalling condition. Your best bet would be to check the cam and crank sensors first and to see if the computer is communicating when this occurs.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
The PCM is the powertrain control module. This is the computer that runs the engine.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
The BCM is the body control module. THis is the computer that runs the body of the vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
VIN must be valid. This is an american car. How come the VIN isn't valid???
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Not sure.. I would not be too concerned about it. Maybe a wrong number or so. Either way, that not that important. I can still send you the correct information because I know these vehicles very well and have been working on them for a long time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you worked on this particular issue before?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
yes, and those things I listed are the most likley causes as I mentioned.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
I hope this helps! Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent service" for assisting you today.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
You should see the rating system now.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
I will be back on line later tonight if you have any further questions. RegardsCustomer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A mechanic told me that it might be caused by ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR 1 CIRCUIT?CODE: P 0118
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Allow me to rate after the success. I will talk to my mechanic tomorrow and get back to you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible to explain how these items work and how they are related to the engine-going-off issue:1. Camshaft position sensor: ---2. Crankshaft position sensor: ---3. Instrument cluster: ---4. PCM: ---5. BCM: ---
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello! YES, I can explain all of this over the phone. Please accept my offer and call me. Thank you!
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
It'sCustomerfrom just answer. I am just checking in to see how things turned out and if you need further assistance. Please let me know.
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I didn't get all the spare parts as they either expensive or not available. I will have to get them from Dubai in a month time
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Sounds good! No problem! Meanwhile, please dont forget to rate my answer as "excellent service" for assisting you with your question. This will ensure that I get credit for helping you. We can still continue this conversation even after you rate my answer. I will be here with you every step of the way. RegardsCustomer
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
It'sCustomerfrom just answer. I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?
Let me know!
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A mechanic told me that it might be caused by ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR 1 CIRCUIT?CODE: P 0118Do you think, this can be true?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is expensive for me to change all the spare parts you recommended. We don't have a Jeep dealership in my country (Rwanda). I will buy the spare-parts when I travel to Dubai then I will revert to you as soon as I change all the parts and check the car.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
The engine coolant temp sensor can cause that code. My experience has been that it usually it does not cause a stalling condition.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Let me know!
Customer
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Customer