roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  My knowledge of Jeeps from the early 60's till present. Love to help people with there issues.
3506196

GRAND CHEROKEE: WE PUT A USED ENGINE IN A 1998 GRAND CHEROKEE

Customer Question

WE PUT A USED ENGINE IN A 1998 GRAND CHEROKEE 4.0. WHEN WE TRY TO START IT IT SOUND LIKE THE TIMING IS OF. AFTER WE TRY STATING 3 OR 4 TIMES IT STARTS BUT THE IDLE SURGES A LITTLE AND WHEN YOU REV IT, IT POPS THROUGH THE INTAKE
Category: Jeep
Expert:  roybelding replied 1 year ago.
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist common issue is the valve stick in the valve guides. they will not seat not allowing compression.I would start with a compression test to verify. how long did the motor sit before it was sold to you??does it have a warranty?? Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We got it timing was 180 off
Expert:  roybelding replied 1 year ago.
CHECKED FUEL PRESSURE, CHECKED TIMING, CHANGED IAC & MAP SENSORS FROM OLD ENGINE. CHECKED FOR CODES AND THERE ARE NONE
good find, I re read your original post and you said the timing was ok??? how did you determine that then and now it was off???
Roy