MoparHeat
MoparHeat, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Master Technician, 8+ years with Chrysler, ASE Certified Automotive Technician
67978266

Grand cherokee: My jeep grand Cherokee 06, seems to have disconnected

Customer Question

My jeep grand Cherokee 06, seems to have disconnected from my. One and only transponder key . I replaced keyless entry battery, which now works, bu still cannot start car
Category: Jeep
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Thank you for your inquiry. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you...
With the key turned to the run position without attempting to start, is there a red dot on the instrument cluster lit up solid or flashing?
Please let me know and we can go from there. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Flashing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, sorry for the delayed response...but Any ideas, I don't have another key to use, is that my only option
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply!
The flashing indicator means the security module cannot read the key. This could be the key or the security module itself. The chip in the key isn't operated by the battery in the key. The security module reads the keys transponder chip using radio frequencies. This is best verified by having the vehicle connected to a compatible scan tool that can monitor whether or not the module is reading the key. If it is reading the key then the module itself is at fault. This however is most likely due to a failing key which can be frustrating. You have two options. First you can contact local locksmiths that may can read and program keys for your vehicle and they can come to you. Your other option is to have the Jeep towed in to the dealership or other repair facility that can communicate with the system and program keys. Your best option is to call around and see who can perform this and get estimates on having it repaired so you have a better idea of who you want to repair the security issue and how to go about it. I wish I could do more for you from here but due to the complexity of the system there isn't anything we can do without the compatible equipment.
I hope this helps! Please let me know if you need more help or information. Thank you!
Expert:  MoparHeat replied 1 year ago.
Hello! I'm just checking in to see if you have made any progress on this issue. Please let me know. Thank you!