Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep and ASE Certified Master Tech
12365498

Grand Cherokee Overland: I have a 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland that I pull behind my motorhome. When I tried to shift it into neutral to pull it this morning it would not shift and I have the message: "Service 4 WD system." I am 5 hours from my destination. Is there a way to bypass this so I can get to where I can get it serviced?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX you for allowing me to assist you! You may need to remove both driveshafts to pull it. Tell me this: did you have the N23 recall performed recently? That is the one where the dealer reprogrammed the transfer case module.
Chris
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I had a leak in the rear diff repaired, but I've pulled it 800 miles since then. I think it was repaired under the warrenty.
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Well Bill the reason I asked if you had the recall done is because we have seen issues where after the recall was done, the transfer case motor failed and then you cannot shift into Neutral. But whether or not is was done, there is obviously a problem with that transfer case motor. So if you cannot get it into neutral, then you will need to remove the front and rear drive shafts in order to tow it behind your motor home. Now if the recall was performed, then the dealer should replace the transfer case motor under warranty. If you can send me the Jeep's VIN number and current mileage, I can look it up and see if the recall was done on it.

Chris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
1j8hr68t09c542374
I assume I can drive it behind the motorhome without damage?
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Yes you can drive it without any damage. I will look this up Bill, but I do need the current mileage first,

Chris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
56882.
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Ok great. I will be right back Bill,

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Ok Bill I found your Jeep, and the recall was performed on October 21st. So get the Jeep back to the dealer and ask them to replace the transfer case motor. They should do this under warranty.

I hope this information helps, and let me know if you need any further assistance with this.

Chris

October 21, 201342649 - H AND M MOTOR COMPANY INC

21N23182 - Safety Recall N23 - Reprogram
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience: Jeep and ASE Certified Master Tech
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There are over 680 of the transfer case motors on back order nationwide. Can't find one anywhere in FL. Gonna rent a trailer and take it back to WV on it. Part ordered there. Thanks for the help. Bill
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.
Wow! That's a lot of back ordered t case motors. Looks like that recall is causing more harm then good.

Thanks for the positive rating Bill and have a safe trip back to W V.

Chris